Our client is a government agency established under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act. It is the entity responsible for the collection, collation, processing, analysis, and dissemination of information with a view to combating money laundering and the funding of terrorism.
They are currently seeking to recruit a Legal Officer within their Legal & International Relations team in order to sustain their growth.
The chosen applicant will be:
- Contributing to studies, legal positions and research papers conducted and drawn up by the Legal Affairs Section;
- Providing assistance with the drafting/vetting of agreements to which the company is a party;
- Providing assistance on the sending of requests for information and liaising with analysts where the company is in receipt in such requests;
- Liaising with government departments and agencies, other authorities and private entities on legal issues that may arise from time to time;
- Providing assistance in any legal proceedings initiated against the company or otherwise representing the company in any legal proceedings, as required;
- Assisting the Supervision and Enforcement Sections in compliance matters;
- Providing general legal counsel to any internal section of the company in compliance matters;
- Providing general legal counsel to any internal sector, as required;
- Representing the Legal Affairs Section in any internal committee and/or in any external committees/meetings the company is a member of or required to participate in;
- Contributing to and representing the company or Malta in international for a of AML/CFT relevance;
- Providing assistance in all international relations aspects, including through the negotiation, and drafting of memoranda of understanding with counterpart companies or other competent authorities; and,
- Carrying out any other duties that may be assigned by senior management.
The ideal candidate will have:
- NQF level 7, LL.D. or M.Adv. Degree or an equivalent academic qualification in law at NQF7 or better;
- Warrant or registration to practice as an advocate in Malta;
- Good understanding of the laws that govern the prevention of money laundering and funding of terrorism in Malta and the international standards and Eu legislation in the area;
- Knowledge of the relevant EU Directives and related local legislation that govern the financial, gaming, and other regulated sectors;
- Familiarity with the operations of the above mentioned sectors;
- Experience in applying anti-money laundering and counter funding of terrorism legislation would be considered as an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in either Maltese or English;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and office automation tools; and,
- Pleasant personality and be of good moral character.
The information requested during registration is necessary for misco to match both candidate and employer expectations. Upon expiration of the closing date misco will be informing candidates of the Company’s identity prior to forwarding any applications.